Joe Cooney is a performing musician from Harrisburg, PA who plays guitar and sings with fervor that shakes the stage. A regular performer at Cornerstone for many years, Joe has been performing in the Central Pennsylvania area since 2010, performing folk, country, blues, and rock.
He primarily covers popular favorite songs ranging from the present back through the 1960s, with some of his favorite artists to cover being Gordon Lightfoot, Van Morrison, The Rolling Stones and Bob Seger. Joe’s lifelong love of all types of music shows through when he performs.
“I like songs that have a special magic that keeps them fresh and exciting through the years. I try to treat them with the reverence that they deserve.”
Frequently, Joe perform in duos and trios with some of his great music friends. Known as Joe Cooney and Friends, they configure an ensemble to fit specific events with the talents of guitarist Dan Gierhart, bassist John Gladman and multi-instrumentalist Brian Sanders, who plays harmonica, guitar, banjo, hammer dulcimer, percussion, and vocals.
Here is a list of some of the songs Joe regularly performs:
- “American Pie” – Don McLean
- “Behind Blue Eyes” – The Who
- “Country Roads” – John Denver
- “Fire and Rain” – James Taylor
- “Folsom Prison Blues” – Johnny Cash
- “Like a Rolling Stone” – Bob Dylan
- “Hallelujah” – Leonard Cohen
- “Heart of Gold” – Neil Young
- “If You Could Read My Mind” – Gordon Lightfoot
- “The Weight” – The Band
- “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” – Gordon Lightfoot
- “Turn the Page” – Bob Segar
Check out the Cornerstone music schedule for upcoming shows by Joe Cooney.